Pithavdian and Partners is a firm of Architects, Planners and Engineers with offices in Chennai, Bengaluru, Kochi and Hyderabad. The firm offers comprehensive services including architecture, interiors, planning, engineering and project management for all types of buildings, sites and services projects.
The Firm was originally established in the year 1919 in the name of Jackson and Barker, was renamed as Prynne, Abbot and Davis in the year 1947 and later in 1972, it became Pithavadian and Partners. The Firm, today, continues to operate in the same name and is managed by two continuing Partners, they being Mr.Parthsarthi Dutta Gupta as Managing Partner and Mr.N.Balachander as Partner.
After 90 years of innovative practice, the Firm’s portfolio of over 3000 built works spans all sectors, sizes and complexity. We believe that our focus on service is a benchmark of the Firm’s growth and can be manifested by our long standing relationships with many of our existing Clients.
The Firm has designed buildings throughout India, comprising of high-rise buildings for Corporate and Banks, campuses for Universities and Research and Development establishments, Factory complexes, Auditoria, Hospitals, small and large Residential colonies, amongst others.
We have designed the township for Indian Space Research Organisation at Sriharikota for 3000 families which won the “Habitation Space International Award”. The drawings of this Project were exhibited at the Festival of India Exposition held in Paris.
Our Partners have also made significant contributions to the development of Architectural and Engineering technology in Educational and Research fields. They have won awards for such contributions.
We have a total staff strength of over 100 which mainly consists of Architects, Engineers and other Technical staff. We also have in-house capabilities for Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. For specialized services such as HVAC, Fire and Safety Systems, BMS, GB and Landscaping, some of the best Consultants in their respective fields are part of our Team.
HISTORY IN A NUTSHELL
Pithavadian and Partners has a colonial history – it was known as Jackson and Barker (after a RIBA Fellow, R.Jackson and a civil Engineer, H.W. Barker, who established the Firm in 1919). The Firm was taken over by another Fellow of the RIBA, Major Harold F. Prynne in the early 1930’s. J.E.Davis and M.A. Riddley Abbot joined the Firm in 1945, and the Firm was renamed as Prynne, Abbot and Davis in the year 1947.
Soon afterwards, Major Prynne retired and an Australian, R.Kiffin Peterson joined the Firm in 1949. Abbot was killed in an air crash in the early 1950’s. Bennett Pithavadian who joined the partnership in 1954, went on to be the sole proprietor of the firm between 1967-1972.
Pithavadian took on A.G.Krishnan Menon, P.T.Krishnan, J.Subhramaniam and Shakuntala Pithavadian as Partners in 1972 and the Firm was renamed as Pithavadian and Partners in the same year. While P.T.Krishnan left the Firm in 1982, Pithavadian, Subhramaniam and Menon managed the firm from Chennai and Delhi respectively. In 1990, Subhramaniam left the Firm.
The next Partners were Zacharia George, F.I.E, T.Prabhakar Devaraj and Parthsarthi Dutta Gupta. Prabhakar passed away in the year 2003. Thus the Partners were only Zacharia George and Parthsarthi. In 2005, Zacharia George retired and currently Parthsarthi is the Managing Partner and N.Balachander, Partner of the Firm.
Late Mr.F.B.Pithavadian, the Founder of Pithavadian and Partners was a distinguished Architect, Engineer and Educationist. He was the founding honorary Director of the School of Architecture and Planning at Chennai. He was a Consultant to various UN bodies, held responsible positions in Professional and Research and Development Institutions. He had left an excellent work practice and provided the necessary guidance as a Master Architect – Engineer to the present generation.